Slow cooked Ox-Cheeks with creamy polenta
Author: Terry Lyons
It takes a long time to cook, but it is a fairly easy dish. You could also serve with creamy potato as the polenta requires a bit of effort.
- 3 beef cheeks
- 2 carrots
- 2 celery stalks
- 1 large onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tbsp double-concentrate tomato puree
- 400ml red wine
- Sprigs thyme
- Salt and Pepper
- 100g polenta
- 700ml of chicken stock (or as per polenta instructions)
- 30g butter
- 30g parmesan
- Double cream
- Remove most of the skin from the ox-cheeks and cut in half
- Place some oil in a hot pan and quickly brown the meat
- Remove the meat from the pan and add the carrot, onion, leek and garlic and cook on a medium heat for 5 mins. Keep stirring to ensure the garlic does not burn.
- Add the wine and cook off for 5 mins, then add the chicken stock, tomato puree and thyme
- Stir well, and add in the meat along with salt and a good bit of pepper.
- Place in the oven for 3 hours minimum at 150 C.
- To make the polenta, cook the polenta according to instructions. It needs to be constantly stirred or it will go lumpy.
- When cooked, add in the butter and parmesan and stir well. You can add some cream to loosen it up a little. It should be the consistency of porridge.
- To serve, place some polenta on the plate and top with the meat and sauce.