Pan Fried Trout with Fennel and Orange Salad, Courgette Ribbons and Rosemary Orange Butter
Author: Terry Lyons
A simple dish for special occasions. You coould also use mackerel.
- 2 fillets of trout (or 1 side)
Orange & Rosemary Butter
- 125g butter, softened at room temperature
- 1 sprig rosemary, finely chopped
- ½ shallot, finely diced
- Zest of 1 orange
- ½ courgette
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper
Fennel & Orange Salad
- 1 fennel
- 2 small oranges (blood orange if possible)
- 3 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 lime, juice and zest
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp honey
- Everything apart from the trout can be prepared an hour in advance.
- To make the rosemary and orange butter, combine all the ingredients together. Using some clingfilm, roll into a sausage shape. Place in the fridge for an hour or until ready to use. This will keep in the fridge for a few days.
- Finely slice the fennel using a mandolin if possible. Using a knife, peel the oranges, removing all the pith. Slice the oranges horizontally. Mix the honey, vinegar, fish sauce, lime zest and juice together and add to the fennel. Mix well, add the orange slices and set aside. This can be made an hour in advance.
- For the courgette salad, peel into strips using a potato peeler. Add the lemon juice, olive oil and season to taste. This can also be made an hour in advance.
- Wash and dry the trout. Season with salt and pepper. Heat a pan to medium heat and add enough oil to cover the pan. When the pan is hot, place the trout skin side down. The pan should be hot enough for the trout to sizzle. Hold down the middle of the trout for 5 seconds so it doesn’t lift from the pan.
- When the trout is cooked half way through (you can tell by the colour), turn it over. After 30 seconds, add a 1 cm slice of the rosemary and orange butter and spoon it over the trout as it melts. Turn off the pan and start to assemble the dish.
- Place a handful of the fennel salad on the bottom of the plate. Place the trout on top, skin side up. Place a small handful of courgette salad on top. Spoon some of the juices from the pan around the plate and add a sprinkle of salt.