Orange and Chocolate Chip Fairy Cakes
Author: Terry Lyons
These make for a great activity with the kids on a rainy day and a tasty treat with a cup of tea
- 165g butter, softened
- 165g caster sugar
- 165g self raising flour
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Zest of 1 orange
- 100g chocolate chips
- Preheat an oven to 180 C
- Place 12 bun cases into a 12 hole muffin tin
- Beat the butter and caster sugar until light and fluffy and pale in colour. (This always takes longer than you think it should!)
- Whisk the 3 eggs together and beat into the mixture, bit by bit. A good rule of thumb is to incorporate the egg over 5 additions to prevent curdling.
- Sieve in the flour and fold in using a spatula.
- Then lightly fold in the orange zest, vanilla extract and chocolate chips, reserving some of the chocolate chips for topping.
- Divide the mixture evenly between the bun cases, scatter with the remaining chocolate chips and place in the oven for 18-20mins or until golden brown. To check if they are cooked, insert a metal skewer into the bun and it should come out clean.
- Place on a wire rack to cool.