Monkfish Scampi with Homemade Lemon Mayonnaise
Author: Terry Lyons
Recipe type: Easy Starter or Main
To simplify, you could use regular mayonnaise and mix in some lemon zest and grated garlic
- 300g of monkfish, cut into small even sized pieces
- 50g plain flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- 100g Panko Breadcrumbs (ordinary breadcrumbs will also do)
- Salt and Pepper
- 3 medium egg yolks
- 1 tsp mustard (Dijon or English)
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- Zest of 2 lemons (or zest of 1 lemon & 1 orange)
- 300 light rapeseed oil or sunflower oil
- Pre-heat your deep fat fryer to 190 C
- To make the mayonnaise, put the egg yolks, vinegar, garlic, vinegar and zest in a bowl and whisk for 1 minute to combine. Very slowly, while continuing to whisk at all times, add the oil. When finished, season to taste. This will keep for a few days in the fridge. Remember that there are raw egg yolks in this, so if you are pregnant, you should not make.
- To make the scampi, toss the monkfish pieces in some seasoned flour. Then transfer them into the egg mix to cover them completely. Finally, transfer them into the breadcrumbs and place them on a tray until ready.
- Carefully place the monkfish pieces in the oil until golden. Drain on kitchen paper, and season with salt. Serve with the mayonnaise on the side and some watercress or rocket salad.