Lamb Chops with Chickpea Mash and Caramelised Onions
Author: Terry Lyons
To simplify, you can swap the asparagus for peas, and leave out the mint oil.
- 6 medium lamb chops
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Olive Oil
- 1 onion
- ½ cup of balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup castor sugar
- 100 ml chicken stock
- 1 tin chickpeas
- 1tbsp crème fraiche or natural yoghurt
- 1tsp chopped mint
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Asparagus or Peas
- Preheat oven to 190⁰ C
- Grate the lemon zest and rub into the lamb with oil and seasoning. Set aside.
- Boil and simmer the chickpeas in chicken stock for 5 mins. Add some lemon juice, 1tbsp crème fraiche, some mint and seasoning. Blitz well.
- Finely slice 1 onion, and add to a saucepan. Add vinegar and sugar. Cover with some parchment paper. Bring to the boil and simmer for 30 – 40 mins or until the onions are soft and the liquid has reduced completely.
- In a hot pan, quickly brown the lamb chops and then place in the oven for about 5 minutes. Leave to rest for a couple of minutes.
- Quickly cook some asparagus or peas in a butter/stock mix. Alternatively cook in salted water and add butter when cooked.
- For presentation, blitz some mint with olive oil and add seasoning to form a mint oil.
- To serve, place the chickpea mash on the plate (using a ring if you have one). Top with the caramelized onion and some whole chickpeas. Arrange the lamb and the asparagus on the plate and drizzle with the mint oil.