Lamb Chops with Chickpea Mash and Caramelised Onions
Author: Terry Lyons
To simplify, you can swap the asparagus for peas, and leave out the mint oil.
- 6 medium lamb chops
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Olive Oil
- 1 onion
- ½ cup of balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup castor sugar
- 100 ml chicken stock
- 1 tin chickpeas
- 1tbsp crème fraiche or natural yoghurt
- 1tsp chopped mint
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Asparagus or Peas
- Preheat oven to 190⁰ C
- Grate the lemon zest and rub into the lamb with oil and seasoning. Set aside.
- Boil and simmer the chickpeas in chicken stock for 5 mins. Add some lemon juice, 1tbsp crème fraiche, some mint and seasoning. Blitz well.
- Finely slice 1 onion, and add to a saucepan. Add vinegar and sugar. Cover with some parchment paper. Bring to the boil and simmer for 30 – 40 mins or until the onions are soft and the liquid has reduced completely.
- In a hot pan, quickly brown the lamb chops and then place in the oven for about 5 minutes. Leave to rest for a couple of minutes.
- Quickly cook some asparagus or peas in a butter/stock mix. Alternatively cook in salted water and add butter when cooked.
- For presentation, blitz some mint with olive oil and add seasoning to form a mint oil.
- To serve, place the chickpea mash on the plate (using a ring if you have one). Top with the caramelized onion and some whole chickpeas. Arrange the lamb and the asparagus on the plate and drizzle with the mint oil.
[...] While it was a great challenge, it was disappointing to see that they didn’t show any of the butchery or fish filleting skills that some people had. We also lost some great cooks, because I got to know them before they left and they really knew their stuff. I’m so happy (and relieved) that Tamarin got through. It would have been terrible for her to go out with my ingredients. I’ll be putting some recipes up on the website over the coming weeks, and I’ll also be giving you some more info on what happened to some of us, just in case the cameras missed it!! I’ll also be filling you in on what I am up to at the moment. Check out the recipe section for an alternative (and hugely improved) version of what I cooked. Lamb Chops with Chickpea Mash, Caramelised Onions, Asparagus and Mint Oil [...]