Normally a curry can be complicated and take a long time, but this one is definitely one for the favourites list. I make the curry before I head to the gym and when I came back, I finish it off with the coconut milk, coriander and lime.
Coconut Chicken Masala with Cauliflower Rice
- 2 tbsp butter or Ghee
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 thumb sized piece of ginger, grated
- 1 chilli, de-seeded and finely chopped
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp of ground turmeric
- 8 curry leaves
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 250 ml chicken stock, warmed
- 200 ml coconut milk
- 600 gram chicken pieces ( for more flavour try to use some skinned and boned chicken thighs as well)
- Handful of fresh coriander
- 1 lime
- 1 cauliflower + ½ an onion, finely chopped
- Place the butter and onion in a large pan on a medium heat. Cook for 5 minutes until soft.
- Add the garlic, ginger, spices, curry leaves and chilli and cook for 1 minute
- Add the chicken and cook for 3-4 minutes
- Add in the warm chicken stock and chopped tomatoes and simmer for 20 mins
- At this stage, you can set it aside for a few hours and when ready to eat, just re-heat the contents of the saucepan
- Separately, grate the cauliflower.
- In a separate pan, cook off the onion on a medium heat for 1-2 minutes in 2 tbsp butter
- Add the grated cauliflower and strir fry for 5-10 minutes
- Season with salt and pepper
- When ready to serve, add the coconut milk to the simmering curry, top with chopped coriander and a squeeze of lime
- Place the cauliflower rice on a plate and top with the curry or serve on the side.