Chocolate and Passion Fruit Tower
Author: Terry Lyons
You could also use other fruits such as raspberries or even cherries soaked in Kirsh for a Black Forest type dish.
- 175g dark chocolate (55%)
- 6 large free range eggs, at room temp
- 175g castor sugar
- 200ml Double Cream
- 1tbsp icing sugar
- Icing Sugar
- 6 Passion Fruit, seeds and juice removed to a bowl
- Cocoa Powder & Icing Sugar to decorate
- Preheat an oven to 180 C. Line a baking tray with parchment.
- Break the chocolate into chunks in a glass bowl and melt over a pot of boiling water. When melted, set aside to cool slightly.
- Separate the egg yolks and egg whites.
- Whisk the egg whites until stiff peaks have formed
- Using the same whisk, combine the egg yolks and sugar and whisk for 1-2 mins until well combined. Add in the cooled chocolate and fold together. You don’t want to whisk it as you want to keep as much air as possible in the mixture.
- When combined, add ⅓ of the egg whites, and fold in well. Add the remaining egg whites and fold in gently until combined. Pour the mixture into the baking tray and place in the oven for 15 – 20 mins until the top is firm and slightly crispy. Set aside to cool.
- Whisk the cream with the icing sugar until stiff.
- Using a scone cutter, cut out 18 discs from the roulade mix. You will need to get 18 if you want 6 portions. Place 1 disc on a work surface, cover with cream and then with some passion fruit. Repeat 3 times. Dust with icing sugar and cocoa powder and transfer to plate. Serve with some passion fruit on the side for decoration.