You could leave out the poached egg here. Also, this is a great soup to make with leftover veg trimmings. I used the asparagus for a salmon dish and put the remainder in this soup. Just be careful not to use the bottom part as it is to tough.
Asparagus and Leek Soup with Poached Egg
Author: Terry Lyons
- 1 leek, finely sliced (160g)
- 100g asparagus, finely sliced
- 2 asparagus spears, peeled lengthways
- 20g butter
- 1 potato, chopped
- 500ml chicken or vegetable stock
- Pinch sugar
- Salt & Pepper
- 2 eggs
- Olive Oil
- Sweat the leeks and asparagus with the butter for 10 mins
- Add the potato and stock with some seasoning and cook for 20 mins
- In the meantime, poach your eggs. You can prepare these in advance and place them in chilled water to stop cooking. They can be reheated in boiling water just before serving.
- Using a mandolin or peeler, peel strips of asparagus for decoration. Cook these for 30 seconds in some butter. Remove and place on kitchen paper.
- When your soup has cooked, check it for seasoning. You may need to add a pinch of sugar.
- To serve, place the soup in the bowls; carefully place the egg in the centre, followed by the asparagus spears and a drop of olive oil.